The STFA has developed firm aims which its members support. These include:
- To protect and promote stillwater game fisheries.
- To make representations to Government departments and agencies on issues of importance to stillwater game fisheries.
- To take such action as may be appropriate in connection with any national or European legislation, either in existence or draft form, which may affect stillwater game fisheries.
- To establish a Code of Conduct with respect to the operation of stillwater game fisheries in order to protect both the industry and public from undesirable practices.
- To disseminate information on matters relating to stillwater game fishing and, where appropriate, to organise meetings and conferences for the benefit of members.
- To enter such marketing initiatives as the committee may from time to time deem appropriate to further the business interests of the membership and increase participation in stillwater game fishing generally.
- To co-operate with any other associations, societies or organisations in the furtherance of the Association.
- To take such action as may be appropriate to counter the activities of those organisations which oppose country sports.